Volunteer for TIME’S UP!
TIME’S UP! is run completely by volunteers.
Everything we do — from organizing events to maintaining this website to fielding press inquiries to mailing our calendar — is done by volunteers who commit their time and energy to helping the environment by helping TIME’S UP! (To learn more about what we do, check out our 30th Anniversary Timeline.)
If you would like to participate in any or many of the fun and exciting events and/or positions listed below, contact email@example.com.
If you’d like to be added to our volunteer email list, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find out more:
- Calendar of Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities
- Volunteer Committees and Meetings
- Bike Co-op
- Volunteer Positions
- Short-term Volunteering
- See Other Opportunities at Volunteer Match
Volunteer Committees and Meetings
Want to become a volunteer with TIME’S UP!? Join one of our committees and start making a difference.
TIME’S UP! is an all-volunteer organization, so even more than exciting ideas, we need your energy, creativity, and commitment to make these ideas come to fruition. Our committees are the powerhouse behind TIME’S UP! and we’d love for you to join us — there’s no need to RSVP or sign up, just show up and get involved. New volunteers are welcome. To find out more information about the next meeting you can contact email@example.com.
- Bike Co-op–If you are interested in helping out with any of our bike repair workshops, email firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information visit the Bike Co-op page or feel free to stop in at a workshop and talk to one of the mechanics about getting involved. We have two workshop locations:
- Time’s Up! Manhattan Outdoor Bike Repair Class (La Plaza Cultural Community Garden, located on the corner of 9th St and Ave C.)
- Tuesdays are weekly classes, open to all, from 6:30-8:30 *Outdoor classes run seasonally from April-October*
- Time’s Up! Brooklyn Workshop (99 South 6th Street off Bedford Avenue, right under the Williamsburg Bridge)
- Sundays and Wednesdays, 5:30-8:30pm- “Fix-Your-Own-Bike” open workshops
- Time’s Up! Manhattan Outdoor Bike Repair Class (La Plaza Cultural Community Garden, located on the corner of 9th St and Ave C.)
- Community Garden Committee–Coordinates events, including parties and actions, at local community gardens. Email email@example.com for more info.
- Calendar Mailing Party Potluck–Come meet some new people, share some snacks and help mail out TIME’S UP! monthly event calendar–hot off the press!
- Fundraising Committee–TIME’S UP! needs your funky fundraising ideas and your volunteer energy to keep our free rides and events happening.
- Event Planning Meeting and New Volunteer Meet and Greet–Do you have creative ideas for new bike rides, community garden clean-ups, clown rides, etc? Or are you a new volunteer and want to help with events? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
- Picture and Video Documentation — Coordinates the documentation of events and campaigns, produces videos, and collects pictures and video for the website, press and legal defense. Email email@example.com for more info.
We are looking for committed people to serve as interns and long-term event and committee coordinators. Have fun and meet new people while making a difference for the planet with TIME’S UP! For more information or to apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current volunteer positions include:
- INTERN for college credit 10-15 hours per week, flexible schedule, help save the planet while earning school credit! Learn all about the operation of a 30-year-old, community-based and all volunteer grass-roots activist organization. TIME’S UP! is a not-for-profit, direct-action, environmental group that uses events and educational programs to promote a more sustainable, less toxic city. TIME’S UP! has a wide variety of campaigns and events, including bike rides promoting transportation and community garden clean-ups, therefore interns will have the opportunity to go out into the field. Internship duties include: assisting the director in setting up spaces for workshops and events, organizing internet and paper correspondence, responding to membership requests, disseminating information to members and volunteers. Interns should be interested in environmental issues, motivated self-starters with savvy internet and good people skills. A good sense of humor also helps. Please send current resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
- VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR(S) Are you a “people person”? TIME’S UP! is looking for outgoing and friendly volunteers who would like to become Volunteer Coordinators for TIME’S UP! . This position involves:
- Contacting people who would like to become TIME’S UP! volunteers (via email, phone, meetings, parties, and events)
- Finding out their talents and interests
- Helping them get “plugged-in” to TIME’S UP! by steering them to the appropriate meetings, events or coordinators
- EVENT LISTING COORDINATOR and Volunteers We are looking for an internet-savvy person who would like to keep an updated list of blogs and online event listings and regularly post TIME’S UP!’s events to these sites — and/or delegate tasks to other volunteers. If you are interested in being the Event Listing Coordinator or in volunteering to help the new coordinator, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- PARTY COORDINATOR TIME’S UP! has a great reputation for throwing awesome parties that have a real community feel. We’re looking for individuals to keep the parties going. Fundraiser parties, after-ride dance parties, volunteer meet and greet parties (which will be held at the Brooklyn space on the second Friday of each month). Looking for volunteers that can help promote the parties, find us spaces for parties, and organize performers. TIME’S UP! has plenty of volunteers who can help you through this process. Applicants should have event-organizing experience, know how to coordinate appropriate spaces, and have good vibe and flow understanding. It would help if you also like music and dancing! Please respond to email@example.com.
- FUNDRAISING COORDINATOR Do you have a $green$ thumb? TIME’S UP! is looking for a creative, outgoing fundraising coordinator who will work with volunteers to write grants, brainstorm creative and fun fundraisers, reach out to donors, and research other fundraising opportunities — and then make them happen! Bring on your fundraising skills and help TIME’S UP! continue its free community events and educational workshops for a better environment. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
- BIKE MECHANICS TIME’S UP! holds bike repair workshops in our two spaces and runs a recycle-a-bike program several times a week. We are looking for mechanics to repair the collective’s bicycles and organize/prepare the workshop area. If interested, there are teaching and instructing opportunities available. Positions available:
- Bicycle mechanics to assist during workshops.
- Bicycle mechanics to teach classes.
- Bicycle mechanics for recycle a bike program.
- Shop organizers.
- People to help retrieve recycled bicycles and find us new co-op spaces.
- Greeters who would meet people coming into the workshops, let them know what we do, and hook them up with a mechanic.
- TABLING COORDINATOR As the Tabling Coordinator you would be able to meet a lot of people and outreach for a great environmental cause. Involvement is mostly centered around public relations and executing tabling outreach events. You would be responsible for contacting event organizers and setting up occasional tabling opportunities, preparing the tabling supplies (table, literature, t-shirts, hats, stickers, etc.), organizing volunteers, and making sure that the tabling supplies get to the event, are set up, cleaned up and returned to the space, either by a volunteer or yourself. We have tons of volunteers that can help with setting up and breaking down as well as taking shifts at tabling. Must be outgoing. Contact email@example.com for more information.
- NON-PROFIT REAL ESTATE COORDINATOR TIME’S UP! is a 30-year-old non-profit organization and we are always moving around from space to space. We also have large-scale parties and indoor events. We are always looking for temporary or permanent spaces, mostly in lower Manhattan and Brooklyn. As a non-profit real estate coordinator, you will search for, inquire and secure spaces for TIME’S UP! .
- GRANT WRITERS TIME’S UP! is a non-profit with 501(c)(3) status. Any type of fund-raising, including grant-writing, is vital to our survival. This position includes identifying funding sources and writing grants.
- PAINTERS/ARTISTS Are you great at making banner signs and painting? We need to highlight your talent by painting huge banners for different campaigns and maintaining our Brooklyn location with indoor and outdoor graphics. No specific time frame.
- PRESS PERSON TIME’S UP! Environmental Group located in downtown Manhattan, and Williamsburg, Brooklyn. We have a wide variety of environmental campaigns and have been quite successful at using press and media to convey our message both locally and globally. As environmental awareness builds in America as a whole, using the internet and press outlets becomes increasingly influential. As a press person, expect to: archive press articles and releases on to the Website (we will train you on our website software); organize photos of group rides and events; press calls if you feel comfortable talking to press; editing help for writing text for postings on blogs and website; and help set up press database.
- MAILING COORDINATOR Coordinate calendar mailing parties 6 times a year. Duties include rounding up mailing labels, copies of calendars, and postage and directing volunteers. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
- VIDEO AND/OR PHOTOGRAPHY COORDINATOR Our video and photo collectives have been instrumental in documenting and publicizing TIME’S UP! environmental awareness events and campaigns. These real world images are published both locally and abroad and have inspired increased environmental awareness. TIME’S UP! is seeking knowledgeable individuals interested in coordinating video and photo documentation of TIME’S UP! events to be used for press, outreach, fund raising, community building and defending cyclists’ rights and public space. Must be familiar with using digital video cameras and video and photo editing software and be willing to work with other volunteers. Email email@example.com if interested.
- MEMBERSHIP COORDINATOR Work with database manager to record down new members, send out renewal notices, and send new member welcome packets. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if interested. TIME’S UP! is a twenty-five-year-old nonprofit environmental organization located in downtown New York City. Because of our member’s support we are able to run over a hundred outdoor events each year; everything from community garden cleanups to educational bike rides. We are looking for a creative, positive, open-minded individual to help increase and retain TIME’S UP!’s membership by whatever means necessary.
- VIDEO EDITOR TIME’S UP! is a twenty-five-year-old nonprofit environmental group is seeking a volunteer video editor to work with its video collective on small video editing projects to put on the website and social media outlets and make small documentaries and movies, etc. The hours/days are flexible and this is a great opportunity to use your skills to take action for a greener world. (Editing skills required) Contact us for more details!
- ACCOUNTANT TIME’S UP! is looking for an account to assist with logging income and expenditures and preparing financial statements.
Many of our events (see our online calendar) require extensive yet simple volunteer support in order to be successful. Here are some ways you can help out:
- Ride marshals (responsible people who go on the ride)
- Tabling (people to commit an hour or so to be at TIME’S UP! table at an event and pass out literature)
- Valet bike parking attendant(s)
- Ride sweeps (responsible people to ride with ride-leader, crowd control, making sure no-one gets too far behind)
- Maintaining the TIME’S UP! space, through cleaning and organizing the space
- Helping out with after-parties (set-up, staff, and/or clean-up)
- Help distribute flyers and calendars. Download and copy the calendar or come by the space during one of our workshops on Tuesday or Thursday from 6:30-8:30pm at our Brooklyn space (99 South 6th). Distribute them at other events you attend. Carry some tape and calendars and stick them to bikes around your neighborhood. Go to a park, greenway or bridge and hand them out to passing cyclists.
- Do you have an idea for a new TIME’S UP! ride or event? We’d like to hear it! Email email@example.com with your ideas. We’re also looking for ride leaders, event organizers, etc.
- Come to a calendar mailing party and help mail out the newest edition of the TIME’S UP! event calendar. Meet some new folks and bring food to share. See our online calendar for monthly mailing party schedule.
Other ways to support TIME’S UP! include becoming a member, making a financial contribution, or making an in-kind donation.
TIME’S UP! is made up 100% by volunteers. If you have any questions or concerns about any of the volunteer positions, whether they’re long or short term, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Message from Bill DiPaola (Founder)
Time’s Up! would like to thank all of our dedicated volunteers and supporters. It is because of your support that we have been so successful at creating positive, sustainable change both locally and globally. These accomplishments would not have been possible without the huge effort of hundreds of volunteers that have worked with Time’s Up! over the years.