Ride to Save Community Gardens, and other actions
NYC’s community gardens are in trouble again. Time’s Up! has been on the forefront of saving community gardens in the past from having them be turned over to private development. In 2002, there was a Spitzer Agreement to preserve 500 green spaces (2002 Preservation Agreement) but this is set to expire in September of 2010. Meanwhile, there has been a call to action to make people aware of the plight of these sacred green spaces in our city. Time’s Up is once again leading the fight.
Please join us for the events listed below and bring your friends, neighbors, family, co-workers!
1. “Get Your Horse Head On” Prop Making Session for the Paul Revere Ride July 28th, 6 p.m., (Wednesday) Generation X Garden (4th St between b and c), NYC
2. Paul Revere Ride – The Developers Are Coming! Dress like Paul Revere – colonial style!! Be prepared to dance to save the gardens! July 29th, 7 p.m. (Thursday)- meet at Tompkin Square Park.
3. Save Our Garden Celebration/BBQ (with flag and banner making) Bring food, friends, family and garden stories to share – prepare for fun! July 31, starting at 4 p.m., (Saturday) Generation X Community Garden (4th St btwn b and c) NYC
4. Harvest Day Rally at City Hall (in conjunction with other garden groups’ press conference) August 2nd – 10 or 11 am (Monday) (exact time and location TBA)
5. Proposed Rules Public Hearing/Rally – Let’s rally around the hearing and let them know how we feel about saving our community gardens! Bring instruments and props – be creative! August 10, 10:30 a.m. rally before 11 am public hearing (Tuesday) Chelsea Rec center, 430 W. 25th Street, Manhattan
Remember if you want to speak at this Public Hearing, email by August 9th Laura Velle, at Laura.LaVelle@parks.nyc.gov and write, “I intend to make a statement at the August 10th Public Hearing on the Parks and HPD Rules for Community Gardens. Please add my name to the list of speakers.”